Pages

March 27, 2017

Yea, that's it.

Good Morning Men,

I know I am "preaching to the choir" but it seems we can never overstate the the truth that the Christian journey is not about striving or resting but rather about finding fellowship with Christ.

When we wander too far, we strain to find the way back. When we get a glimpse of Him we try to get closer. And the closer we get to Him, the more we squint to clarify what we see. Our eyes not only want, they need to behold him, ears to hear him, hands to touch him as those disciples did long ago.

We pray, "oh Lord, show me your will." We seek the Scriptures, listen to our heart and search good counsel. But it is never enough and I can't see how we can ever be satisfied with a life of faith, because the greater the faith the greater the longing for the thing, the person we believe in by that faith.

CS Lewis said it so well in The Problem of Pain.

"There have been times when I think we do not desire heaven; but more often I find myself wondering whether, in our heart of hearts, we have ever desired anything else. You may have noticed that the books you really love are bound together by a secret thread. You know very well what is the common quality that makes you love them, though you cannot put it into words: but most of your friends do not see it at all, and often wonder why, liking this, you should also like that. Again, you have stood before some landscape, which seems to embody what you have been looking for all your life; and then turned to the friend at your side who appears to be seeing what you saw—but at the first words a gulf yawns between you, and you realize that this landscape means something totally different to him, that he is pursuing an alien vision and cares nothing for the ineffable suggestion by which you are transported.
Even in your hobbies, has there not always been some secret attraction which the others are curiously ignorant of—something, not to be identified with, but always on the verge of breaking through, the smell of cut wood in the workshop or the clap-clap of water against the boat’s side?"

In the same vein, this longing I am addressing, is not for the past or some special experience but a longing to stand before Christ Himself. A longing for faith to become sight.

I'm not certain how that meeting is going to go. I have studied Job, considered my life and realize He may have some very harsh words for me.

Honestly, if right now, He would reveal Himself (in His physical form) and with my ears I could hear Him scolding me, correcting me, rebuking me with anger. I believe I would be "undone," would be laying there, face down in the dirt, shaking in fear.............but inside?  I think there would be a part jumping for joy!

Why?

Because, like Job and all of those who love Him, I  have what I really want. My Lord, right there! Finally, "my ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you" Job 42:5

Yea, that's it.

No comments: